Subject: Improving Patient Compensation System – Cooperation Request
From: "Elza Timule" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2025 09:59:14 +0300

Tähelepanu! Tegemist on välisvõrgust saabunud kirjaga.
Tundmatu saatja korral palume linke ja faile mitte avada.
Tähelepanu! Tegemist on välisvõrgust saabunud kirjaga.
Tundmatu saatja korral palume linke ja faile mitte avada.	Dear
Ministry of Social Affairs of the Republic of Estonia
 
We were directed to you by the Estonian Health Insurance Fund.
 
I am writing on the behalf of the Health Inspectorate of Republic of
Latvia (hereinafter – Inspectorate). Inspectorate is a state direct
administration authority under the authority of the Minister for Health of
Republic of Latvia (hereinafter – Ministry). The Ministry is responsible
for implementing State administration functions of the field of health,
including supervision and control of the health sector in order to ensure
compliance with the requirements of the regulatory framework governing
healthcare, public health, and pharmaceutical activity. This ensures the
provision of qualified and quality healthcare, as well as safe and healthy
living environment. 
 
You are being contacted by the Legal department of the Inspectorate,
specifically by the division responsible for the Treatment Risk fund
(hereinafter – Fund). Fund is created in accordance with the Directive
2011/24/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 9th March 2011
on the application of patients’ rights in cross-border healthcare. The
Republic of Latvia seeks to explore the best solutions to improve the
efficiency and timeliness of handling patient compensation claims.
 
The Inspectorate is currently reviewing the legal framework of the Fund
with the aim of improving the protection of patients’ rights in the
Republic of Latvia and the mechanism that ensures compensation rights for
the damage caused to patients’ health. Therefore, in order to improve the
effectiveness of procedures implemented regarding patients’ rights,
specifically regarding handling the damage to patients' health claims,
Inspectorate kindly requests your assistance and asks that you fill out
the table of questions attached to this e-mail.
 
In addition, I inform you that, hoping for effective future cooperation, a
cc copy of this e-mail has also been sent to the Embassy of the Republic
of Latvia located in the Republic of Estonia, ambassador Kristīne
Našeniece. 
 
The Inspectorate kindly requests that you review the MS Excel file
attached to this e-mail and provide responses to the questions therein.
The Inspectorate would be very grateful if the information could be
provided in English, along with providing attachments as the proof of
facts or examples, where it is possible. 
Please send the response by 3rd of June 2025, to the following e-mail
address: [email-masked].
 
The Inspectorate assures that the information received will only be used
for professional purposes, such as using the information to create and
provide a more effective mechanism for the defense to patients’ rights,
and related purposes.
 
Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Best Reguards,
 
Elza Timule
Legal Department
Lawyer of the Treatment Risk Fund Division
phone: &#43;371 67357814, &#43;371 25431602
e-mail: [email-masked] 

 
Health Inspectorate
Klijānu Street 7, Riga, LV-1012
phone 67081600
[email-masked], http://www.vi.gov.lv