Subject: Handling of children who are under the influence of intoxicating substances
From: "Linda Megne" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2025 10:24:10 +0300

Tähelepanu! Tegemist on välisvõrgust saabunud kirjaga.
Tundmatu saatja korral palume linke ja faile mitte avada.
Tähelepanu! Tegemist on välisvõrgust saabunud kirjaga.
Tundmatu saatja korral palume linke ja faile mitte avada.	Dear,
Ministry of Social Affairs of the Republic of Estonia – Department of
Child Protection,
my name is Linda Līvija Megne, and I represent the Department of Services
and Support within the Child Protection Centre of Latvia.
We are currently facing a pressing issue in Latvia concerning the handling
of children who are under the influence of intoxicating substances,
particularly those whose legal guardians are either unknown or
unreachable, or in cases where the child’s identity itself remains
unclear.
Our law enforcement institutions have reported that children's homes are
declining to admit such children when they are not already residing in
those institutions. Simultaneously, the police are also left without
viable alternatives on where to place these children, especially when
there is no legal representative to take custody or when the child's
personal details are unidentified.
In light of this, I am writing to kindly inquire about the procedures in
place in Estonia. Specifically, we would appreciate your response to the
following question:
*   If a child is detained by the Estonian police while under the
influence of addictive substances, where is the child taken in such
situations?
(Particularly in cases where the child’s legal representatives cannot be
located or when the identity of the child is unknown.)
We believe that understanding your practices will help us explore possible
solutions and align our procedures to better serve the interests and
safety of vulnerable children.
Thank you in advance for your time and cooperation. We look forward to
your response and any insights you can provide regarding this matter.

Linda Līvija Megne
Department of Services and Support
Child Protection Centre
Latvia