Subject: Research - entitlement social assistance and minimum income protection
From: "Alessandro Nardo" <[email-masked]>
To: "SM Info"
Cc: "Ella-Marie Assal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2024 12:52:26 +0300

Good morning,

My name is Alessandro Nardo, I am a PhD researcher at the Center for Social 
Policy (CSB) Herman Deleeck at the University of Antwerp (Belgium).

I am contacting you in the matter of a research that I am doing with a 
colleague of mine at the CSB, Ella-Marie Assal, who is reading in CC.

This research concerns the entitlement and assignment of social assistance 
benefits in EU countries.

At the current moment, we are investigating the policy rules of social 
assistance benefits concerning the way in which the social assistance 
benefits are assigned to the claimants and the ways in which they are 
supposed to be distributed among the household components.

For our research, we are also collecting information for the social 
assistance measure in Estonia, the toimetulekutoetus.

The questions that we want to answer are the following:

1.	Is the entitlement for social assistance at individual or at household 
level?
2.	When the entitlement is at household/family level, how is the income 
benefit transferred to the beneficiary family/household? More precisely: 
should only one person apply for the entire family/household or should each 
member apply separately? Is the benefit transferred to the head of the 
household or to the applicant?
3.	For households with couples, are there any rules in place about how the 
income from the social assistance benefit should be redistributed among the 
adult members?

We would very much appreciate if you could answer the three questions above 
with respect to the social assistance measure in your country.

Thank you very much in advance for your attention and time.

I wish you a nice day.

Kind regards,

Alessandro Nardo

 <https://www.uantwerpen.be/en/staff/alessandro-nardo_23277/> PhD 
Researcher, Herman Deleeck Centre for Social Policy (CSB)

 University of Antwerp - Department of Sociology

Stadscampus - Sint-Jacobstraat 2 - 2000 Antwerpen – Belgium