Subject: Circular / Circulaire No 26(25): Convocation of the Experts’ Group on Digital Tokens
From: "HCCH" <[email-masked]>
To: "Justiitsministeerium"
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2025 12:13:11 +0200

Version française ci-après 
Versión en español abajo 

 
 
 a 
 
Convocation of the Experts’ Group on Digital Tokens

HCCH 2025 Focused Circular No 26

The Secretary General

To all Members of the HCCH,

I am pleased to convoke the Experts’ Group on the private international
law issues raised by digital tokens (EG on Digital Tokens). The first
meeting of the EG will take place from Monday 16 to Wednesday 18 June
2025. The meeting will be held in person at the premises of the PB, with
the possibility to participate online via the Microsoft Teams platform.
The meeting will be conducted in English and no simultaneous
interpretation will be provided.

This meeting is convoked pursuant to Conclusion and Decision (C&amp;D) No
15 of CGAP 2025, which reads as follows:

15.            CGAP mandated the establishment of an EG to study the PIL
issues raised by digital tokens, subject to available resources. The EG
would report to CGAP 2026.

At the first working meeting, the PB will present a summary of the
exploratory work on the private international law aspects of digital
tokens that took place in the last year, and will provide an introduction
to the members of the EG and its envisaged working methods and project
planning for the coming year.

Members are invited to designate their respective delegate(s) by sending
an e-mail to [email-masked] before Friday 18 April 2025, 5.00 p.m.
(CEST). Please include the name(s), function(s) and e-mail address(es) of
the delegate(s) in the e-mail. The following subject line should head the
e-mail, “Digital Tokens – Experts’ Group Designation – [name of HCCH
Member]”.

When designating their delegate(s), Members are invited to take into
consideration the following: 
*   As the subject matter of the EG includes the study of
jurisdiction-related questions including the grounds for jurisdiction in
matters involving digital tokens (in addition to the study of applicable
law that was the focus of the exploratory study in the preceding phase),
Members are kindly requested to identify delegates who may speak to
matters of jurisdiction in addition to the applicable law.
*   A limited number of delegates can be accommodated at the premises of
the PB and, as such, the number of in-person participants is limited to
two per Member and to one per Observer. Registrations for in-person
participation will close upon reaching the maximum number of delegates who
can be accommodated, bearing in mind appropriate representation across
geographic regions. Other delegates should attend online. 
*   The maximum number of experts participating online per Member or
Observer is not limited at this stage. A limit may have to be considered
if the number of experts designated to participate online differs
substantially across Members, bearing in mind appropriate representation
across geographic regions.
*   With a view to ensuring continuity and efficient working practices,
Members are kindly requested to keep their delegations stable and not
change the composition from one meeting to the next. Thus, designations
are to be made once, for the entire span of the EG on Digital Tokens,
comprising the abovementioned meeting and any future meetings (see below).
*   Only Members that are eligible to participate in EGs according to the
regulatory framework of the HCCH may designate participants.
The draft agenda of the first meeting of the EG will be circulated in due
course. Information pertaining to the Digital Tokens Project is available
on the Digital Tokens Section of the HCCH website.

The second meeting of the EG is tentatively scheduled to take place from
Tuesday 18 to Thursday 20 November 2025. Designated members of the EG will
receive confirmation and further information about the second meeting in
due course.

Finally, pursuant to Rule II.B and II.J of the HCCH Rules of Procedure,
the PB informs Members that it intends to invite, as Observers to the
meeting, the following international and non-governmental organisations:
American Association of Private International Law (ASADIP); Australasian
Association of Private International Law (AAPrIL); Bank of International
Settlements (BIS); Council of the Notariats of the European Union (CNUE);
European Association of Private International Law (EAPIL); International
Bar Association (IBA); International Institute for the Unification of
Private Law (UNIDROIT); International Swaps and Derivatives Association
(ISDA); International Union of Notaries (UINL); Organization for the
Harmonization of Business Law in Africa (OHADA); United Nations Commission
on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL); and the World Bank Group.

With my colleagues, I look forward to the first meeting of this EG.

Yours sincerely,

Christophe Bernasconi

THE HAGUE, 18 March 2025

To the National and Contact Organs of the Members
To the Diplomatic Missions of the Members

  ________________________________  

 
 
 a 

Convocation du Groupe d’experts sur les jetons numériques

Circulaire ciblée No 26 de la HCCH de 2025

Le Secrétaire Général

À l’attention des Membres de la HCCH,

J’ai le plaisir de convoquer le Groupe d’experts sur les questions de
droit international privé soulevées par les jetons numériques. La première
réunion du Groupe d’experts se tiendra du lundi 16 au mercredi 18 juin
2025 en personne dans les locaux du Bureau Permanent (BP), avec la
possibilité d’y participer en ligne via la plateforme Microsoft Teams. Les
travaux se dérouleront en anglais et aucun service d’interprétation ne
sera assuré.

Cette réunion est convoquée conformément à la Conclusion et Décision No
15 du CAGP de 2025, qui se lit comme suit :

15.            Le CAGP a décidé la création d’un Groupe d’experts chargé
d’étudier les questions de droit international privé soulevées par les
jetons numériques, dans la limite des ressources disponibles. Le Groupe
d’experts ferait rapport au CAGP lors de sa réunion de 2026.

Lors de cette première réunion de travail, le BP présentera un résumé des
travaux exploratoires menés au cours de l’année écoulée sur les aspects de
droit international privé des jetons numériques. Une introduction aux
jetons numériques sera également proposée aux membres du Groupe d’experts,
accompagnée d’une présentation de la planification et des méthodes de
travail prévues pour l’année à venir.

Les Membres sont invités à désigner des délégués par courrier
électronique à l’adresse [email-masked] avant le vendredi 18 avril
2025, à 17 h (heure d’été d’Europe centrale). Veuillez inclure les noms,
fonctions et adresses électroniques des délégués dans le courrier
électronique. L’objet suivant doit figurer en tête du courrier
électronique : « Jetons numériques - Désignation Groupe d’experts - [nom
du Membre de la HCCH] ».

Lors de la désignation de leurs délégués, les Membres sont invités à
prendre en considération les éléments suivants : 
*   Étant donné que le mandat du Groupe d’experts comprend l’étude de
questions liées à la compétence, y compris les motifs de compétence dans
les affaires impliquant des jetons numériques (en complément de l’examen
de la loi applicable qui a fait l’objet de l’étude exploratoire lors de la
phase précédente), les Membres sont encouragés à désigner des délégués
ayant une expertise dans ces deux domaines.
*   Un nombre limité de délégués peut être accueilli dans les bureaux du
BP. Par conséquent, le nombre de participants en personne est limité à
deux par Membre et à un par Observateur. Les inscriptions pour une
participation en personne se clôtureront dès que la capacité maximale
d’accueil des délégués sera atteinte, en veillant à assurer une
représentation appropriée des différentes régions géographiques. Les
autres délégués devront participer en ligne.
*   Le nombre maximum d’experts participant en ligne par Membre ou
Observateur n’est pas limité à ce stade. Toutefois, une limite devra
peut-être être envisagée si le nombre d’experts désignés pour participer
en ligne diffère sensiblement d’un Membre à l’autre, afin de garantir une
représentation appropriée des régions géographiques.
*   Afin d’assurer la continuité et l’efficacité des travaux, il est
recommandé que la composition des délégations reste stable tout au long
des travaux du Groupe d’experts. Les désignations devront donc être faites
en une seule fois, et ce pour toute la durée des travaux du Groupe, cela
comprend la réunion susmentionnée ainsi que toutes les réunions futures
(voir ci-dessous).
*   Seuls les Membres qui sont autorisés à participer aux Groupes
d’experts conformément au cadre réglementaire de la HCCH peuvent désigner
des participants.
Le projet d’ordre du jour de la première réunion du Groupe d’experts sera
communiqué en temps utile. Les informations relatives au projet sur les
jetons numériques sont disponibles sur l’Espace Jetons numériques du site
web de la HCCH.

La deuxième réunion du Groupe d’experts devrait se tenir du mardi 18 au
jeudi 20 novembre 2025. Les membres désignés du Groupe recevront en temps
utile une confirmation et de plus amples informations sur la deuxième
réunion.

Enfin, conformément à l’article II.B et II.J du Règlement intérieur de la
HCCH, le BP informe les Membres qu’il a l’intention d’inviter les
organisations internationales et non gouvernementales suivantes en tant
qu’observateurs à la réunion : Association américaine de droit
international privé (ASADIP) ; Association internationale du barreau (IBA)
; Australasian Association of Private International Law (AAPrIL) ; Banque
des règlements internationaux (BRI) ; Commission des Nations Unies pour le
droit commercial international (CNUDCI) ; Conseil des Notariats de l’Union
européenne (CNUE) ; European Association of Private International Law
(EAPIL) ; Forum économique mondial ; Groupe de la Banque mondiale ;
Institut international pour l’unification du droit privé (UNIDROIT) ;
International Swaps and Derivatives Association (ISDA), Organisation pour
l’harmonisation en Afrique du droit des affaires (OHADA) et Union
internationale du notariat (UINL).

Dans l’attente de cette première réunion à venir du Groupe d’experts,
veuillez recevoir, chers Membres, l’expression de mes sentiments les
meilleurs.

Christophe Bernasconi

LA HAYE, le 18 mars 2025

Aux Organes nationaux et de liaison des Membres
Aux Missions diplomatiques des Membres

  ________________________________  

 
 a 
 
Convocación del Grupo de Expertos sobre Tókenes

Circular Específica N.º 26 de la HCCH de 2025

El Secretario General

A la atención de los Miembros de la HCCH:

Me complace convocar el Grupo de Expertos sobre las cuestiones de derecho
internacional privado que plantean los tókenes (Grupo de Expertos sobre
Tókenes). La primera reunión se celebrará en persona del lunes 16 al
miércoles 18 de junio de 2025 en la sede de la Oficina Permanente (OP),
con la posibilidad de participar en línea por la plataforma Microsoft
Teams. Se llevará a cabo en inglés y no habrá interpretación simultánea.

Esta reunión se convoca de conformidad con la Conclusión y Decisión (CyD)
N.º 15 del CAGP de 2025:

15.            El CAGP encomendó la creación de un Grupo de Expertos para
estudiar las cuestiones de DIPr que plantean los tókenes, sujeto a la
disponibilidad de recursos. Dicho Grupo de Expertos presentaría un informe
al CAGP de 2026.

Durante esta primera reunión de trabajo, la OP presentará un resumen del
trabajo exploratorio que tuvo lugar el año pasado. Asimismo, servirá de
introducción para los miembros del Grupo, así como para presentar la
planificación y los métodos de trabajo que se prevén para el próximo año.

Se invita a los Miembros a designar a sus respectivos delegados por
correo electrónico a [email-masked]. La fecha límite para ello es el
viernes 18 de abril de 2025, a las 17:00 (hora de verano de Europa
Central). Deben indicarse el nombre, el cargo y la dirección de correo
electrónico de cada delegado. El asunto del correo debe ser: “Tókenes –
Designación al Grupo de Expertos - [nombre del Miembro de la HCCH]”.

Se invita a los Miembros a tener en cuenta lo siguiente cuando designen a
sus delegados: 
*   El objeto de estudio del Grupo de Expertos comprende cuestiones
relativas a la competencia judicial, en particular criterios de atribución
de competencia en asuntos relacionados con tókenes ―además de cuestiones
relativas al derecho aplicable, que fue el tema central de la fase
exploratoria previa―. Por ello, rogamos a los Miembros que designen a
delegados que puedan intervenir sobre cuestiones de competencia judicial,
además de sobre el derecho aplicable.
*   Cabe señalar que la sede de la OP tiene capacidad para un número
limitado de delegados, por lo que el número de participantes presenciales
se limita a dos por Miembro y a uno por Observador. Las inscripciones para
participantes presenciales se cerrarán cuando se alcance el número máximo
de delegados, teniendo en cuenta que debe haber una representación
adecuada de todas las regiones geográficas. Los demás delegados deberán
participar en línea. 
*   De momento no hay ningún límite para el número de participantes en
línea por Miembro u Observador. Tal vez haya que considerar imponer un
límite si el número de expertos designados para participar en línea es muy
diferente de un Miembro a otro, para velar por una representación
equilibrada entre las distintas regiones.
*   A fin de que haya continuidad y de que se trabaje de manera
eficiente, se ruega a los Miembros que mantengan estables sus delegaciones
y no cambien su composición de una reunión a otra. Por lo tanto, las
designaciones se realizarán una sola vez para la totalidad de la duración
del Grupo de Expertos, es decir, para la reunión antes mencionada y las
que se celebren en el futuro (véase más abajo). 
*   Solo podrán designar participantes los Miembros que reúnan los
requisitos para participar en Grupos de Expertos según el marco
regulatorio de la HCCH.
El proyecto de agenda de la primera reunión se distribuirá en tiempo
oportuno. Para más información acerca del Proyecto sobre Tókenes puede
consultarse la Sección sobre Tókenes del sitio web de la HCCH.

La segunda reunión del Grupo de Expertos está prevista, provisionalmente,
del martes 18 al jueves 20 de noviembre de 2025. Los miembros designados
recibirán la confirmación de la segunda reunión y más información al
respecto en tiempo oportuno.

Por último, de conformidad con los artículos II.B y II.J del Reglamento
Interno de la HCCH, la OP informa a los Miembros que tiene la intención de
invitar, en calidad de observadores, a las siguientes organizaciones
internacionales y no gubernamentales: Asociación Americana de Derecho
Internacional Privado (ASADIP); Asociación Internacional de Abogados
(IBA); Asociación Internacional de Swaps y Derivados (ISDA); Australasian
Association of Private International Law (AAPrIL); Banco de Pagos
Internacionales (BPI); Comisión de las Naciones Unidas para el Derecho
Mercantil Internacional (CNUDMI); Consejo de los Notariados de la Unión
Europea (CNUE); European Association of Private International Law (EAPIL);
Grupo del Banco Mundial; Instituto Internacional para la Unificación del
Derecho Privado (UNIDROIT); Organización para la Armonización del Derecho
Mercantil en África (OHADA); y Unión Internacional del Notariado (UINL).

Junto con mis colegas, espero con interés la primera reunión de este
Grupo de Expertos.

Atentamente,

Christophe Bernasconi

LA HAYA, 18 de marzo de 2025

A los Órganos Nacionales y de Contacto de los Miembros
A las Misiones Diplomáticas de los Miembros